Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Oh. No.

Its official, Kevin Youkilis has signing with the Yankees.  I'm currently struggling between two considerations: on the one hand, Youkilis grinds out at-bats, and when healthy is one of the better hitters out there.  On the other hand, he's Kevin Youkilis.  I'm sure I'll get over the latter fact if he ever hits a walk-off homerun against the Red Sox, but for now I'm really struggling with this one.  I know I can't let emotions get in the way, but Kevin Youkilis?  Really?

With the Yankees closing in on Ichiro, we now need to consider which right-handed outfielder would best compliment Ichiro.  Several names have been thrown out there, but I'm going to suggest Delmon Young.  Let's look past the fact that he can't take a walk, strikes out way too much, isn't great on defense, and was arrested for becoming belligerent and yelling anti-Semitic slurs in New York last year.  Delmon Young hit last post-season.  He hit .353 and .357 in the ALDS and World Series last year, drove in 9 runs throughout the playoffs, and hit 3 homeruns.  He was the antithesis of the Yankee offense.  And because of everything mentioned before, he should be pretty affordable.  Yes he has severe emotional issues, and he would have to prove himself truly repentant over that incident last season, but he may be a good balance for Ichiro's speed and contact type hitting.  But then again, looking past his stupid comments is hard enough to do.

3 comments:

Rich Mahogany said...

So you're saying that because the Yankees just signed a hated Jewish guy, they should also sign a hated anti-Semitic guy to balance things out? I'm on board!

Fernando Alejandro said...

I never even considered it that way haha!

Rich Mahogany said...

That's right! I take RJG to a higher level of insight and offensiveness.