Without a doubt, Derek Jeter will be signed by the Yankees next season, but some have questioned what Derek Jeter would do if he and the Yankees could not work out a deal. This is a fairly comprehensive list of the options available to Jeter should he not re-sign with the Yankees.
1. He could go play for the Giants. They're looking for a shortstop, and they just won a world series. Could Jeter be enticed to go west if a deal is not to be worked out in New York?
2. He could go play for the Giants...in Japan. There has to be huge endorsement money to be made by moving to Japan. Maybe Jeter's image can make us regain confidence in Toyota made vehicles.
3. Jeter could start his own baseball league in another country. He's made plenty of money. Why not buy a team in Korea and play them into the world series of Korea? Maybe Jeter's image can instill confidence in Kia made vehicles.
4. Jeter could start a baseball team here in New York. Think about it, the Mets were never an appropriate consolation for losing the Dodgers and the Giants. I'm sure baseball will be ready to expand, or a team will be ready to be sold in the near future. Why not move them to New York, and give the city three teams again. Brooklyn, Staten Island, Harlem. I'm sure he can find a place.
5. Jeter could try to invent a fully functioning light saber. Its about time someone did. I suspect that the fact that there's no real functional purpose for a light saber has kept scientists from investing too many resources into building one, but Jeter could change that.
6. Jeter could become an actor. I never saw The Other Guys, but I don't have to to know that Jeter has movie star looks, and has had several movie star girlfriends.
7. Jeter could invent a new baseball bat, weighted perfectly for the opposite field swing. He can then use this bat to smash Cashman's car for not making a deal work out.
8. Jeter could turn his attention from baseball to his other life passion: womanizing. But considering that his success in the latter pursuit was heavily tied to his success in the former, it may not be a good plan for him.
9. He could join former Yankee Bernie Williams on tour.
10. We could just respect his gangster.