Monday, September 22, 2008

Yankees Last Game At Yankee Stadium

The Good

Pettitte got the win in the last game at Yankee stadium, as a string of Jose Veras, Phil Coke, Joba Chamberlain, and Mariano Rivera held the Orioles scoreless to secure the win. Jose Molina went 3-4, hitting the final homerun at Yankee stadium. Johnny Damon was the runner up hitting the second to last homerun at Yankee stadium. Some people might not like that Molina hit the last homerun here, but its very much like the Yankees to have the most unlikely player make history. From Don Larsen's perfect game, to Roger Maris' homerun record, to Bucky Dent's homerun, to Aaron Boone's homerun, this place has always been about turning the most unlikely players into hero's.

For this game, there is no bad, there is no ugly. Its too easy to focus on the negatives this season, and I simply refuse to for the last game at Yankee stadium. It was a great win, a great night, and a great way to play the last game in the history of this great place. We will miss it, but we'll also grow to love our new home. Here's hoping the 2009 Yankees break it in quickly.

Respect Jeter's Gangster is for the Children

The "Respect Jeter's Gangster" blog joined Johnny Damon's home run club, which raises money for the Children's Health Fund. We are pledged to donate $1.00 for every homerun the Yankees hit this season. We will keep a running tally of the home runs hit and the money donated throughout the season. Johnny Damon and Jose Molina both hit some bombs to help the Yankees topple the Orioles in the last game at the stadium. Many congratulations to my fellow countryman Jose Molina for hitting the last homerun in Yankee stadium history.

Melky Cabrera 8hr = $8.00
Alex Rodriguez 35hr = $35.00
Hideki Matsui 9 hr = $9.00
Bobby Abreu 19hr = $19.00
Jorge Posada 3hr = $3.00
Jason Giambi 31hr = $31.00
Johnny Damon 16hr = $16.00
Morgan Ensberg 1hr = $1.00
Robinson Cano 14hr = $14.00
Chad Moeller 1hr = $1.00
Wilson Betemit 6hr = $6.00
Derek Jeter 11hr = $11.00
Shelley Duncan 1hr = $1.00
Xavier Nady 11hr = $11.00
Jose Molina 3 hr = $3.00
Ivan Rodriguez 2hr = $2.00
Richie Sexson 1hr = $1.00
Cody Ransom 2hr= $2.00
Total = $172.00

If you are interested in Johnny Damon's Homerun Club or the Children's Health Fund you can find links to both at the top right hand corner of our page.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great summary. I swear I have a Yankee hangover from all those hours of watching. But now it's back to reality and the inevitable clinch by the Red Sox, maybe today since they're at home and Beckett is pitching. The last few wins gave me hope that the Yanks would pull off some kind of miracle, but.....

Fernando Alejandro said...

This team has been a major source of frustration all season, but they didn't dissapoint last night. It did almost have a playoff atmosphere to it. Let's just hope they can get Moose a win on Tuesday, and again at Fenway.

TribeGirl said...

I just read your live blog - fabulous!!! Didn't know you were doing it, I was glued to the seven hours of coverage before the game... Anyway, two things:
1. I have had the volcano taco from Taco Bell and it is WONDERFUL!!! A gift from heaven!
2. As much as I have b**ched about Michael Kay all season, I realized that I hate hearing a Yankee game by anyone else. I crave his "whatever annoys me" about him. I hate Joe Morgan!!! I felt such a sense of relief and comfort when Michael Kay came into the booth and started announcing. I think its now a love/hate relationship I have with the TV Face of the Yankees.

Yeah, I need therapy! I'm going to be so depressed next week.......

Fred Trigger said...

Yeah, the live blog was really great. There looked to be way more participants than the last time, when it was just me and Roberto commenting back and forth, ending with me having a meltdown when the sox had the bases loaded against Mo and blew it.I wish I could have stuck around for the whole game but I had to be up at 4am to go to work. I figured my employers would like me to be able to function. Perhaps we can do it again for the last series at Fenway.

Anonymous said...

i do enjoy the live blog.. but can we get a debate post about the future of phil coke and joba? starters or bullpen?

Fernando Alejandro said...

Tribegirl, thanks for the word on the volcano taco's! The closest Taco Bell's half an hour away, and I don't really feel like driving that far to try one. It would be like a lame version of Harold & Kumar go to White Castle, which I did happen to do once at 3am and got there just in time to see the drunken post-club crowd fighting outside. Oh Bayside, Queens. How I love your charm.

Fred, I'd like to do that for at least one of those games. Maybe the Moose game. My brother may have more flexibility than I, but its definitely a possibility. I'll have to talk it over with him.

Quinn, good idea, I'm on it.

TribeGirl said...

That would be a great debate just for me to pick up some knowledge on - don't know much about Coke other than he's looked pretty good lately, and I know the boys from the blog are all over this issue! Do it!!!

Oh yeah, and the volcano tacos are worth the trip if you're gonna load up on the other Taco Bell staples (Nachos Bell Grande, Grilled Stuffed Burritos, basically anything on the menu.)

Warren Sapp did surprisingly well on Dancing with the Stars this evening....one of the best. Pretty awesome, huh? I would love to see a baseball player on there!

Fernando Alejandro said...

My church is by a Taco Bell. I think I may swing by next Sunday for a little volcano taco lunch.