Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Let the Sanctimony Begin

Just finished reading this article on Golf.com, then finished throwing up in my mouth. Okay, I get it. Tiger messed up. I had fun with it here on a couple posts, but please, let's stop talking about how his legacy is ruined and he'll never be Jack Nicklaus and blah blah blah. Tiger's legacy is as a golfer, not a nice guy. I don't hang out with him, neither does the author of that article, none of us does. All I know about Tiger is he shaves with a Gillete Fusion, plays Golf better than most human beings, and drives a Buick. Oh wait . . . Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! He crashed a Cadillac . . . I don't know what to believe anymore. So does Jesus actually hang out with Santa Claus or is all that a lie too?!

Let's be serious. Tiger was a great golfer before this and he will be a great golfer after. People, mostly people who write for newspapers will feign shock and disappointment and then when he wins another Major will write a bunch of BS about redemption. I hate the sports media sometimes.

Tiger is human, the same way A-Rod is human, and Michael Phelps is human. Remember the Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" commercial? Well, he was right. Stop deifying these guys and they won't "disappoint" you. Tiger plays Golf. He's still going to get paid a lot of money to do so and we're still going to watch. And yeah, we watch. In fact, if it wasn't for Tiger most of us would never watch, but because of him, we do. It will stay that way. Within a few days or weeks most Americans will have forgotten about this anyway and just be looking forward to the Yankee press conference announcing the Halladay trade.

4 comments:

Rob A from BBD said...

I was done with this story about 20 seconds after I heard it. I'm actually kind of surprised to see it here.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that. Let's go make the Halladay move, Bronny!

Roberto E. Alejandro said...

Yeah, I don't really care that much about the story, but I hate it when members of the press start writing about how somebody's ruined their legacy, and we'll never see them the same way, when something like this happens. One, members of the press, like most of us, know what pro athletes have access to and that they do these things, stop being so surprised. Two, as soon as that athlete that they all say is tarnished does something positive in his sport, they all write stories about his supposed redemption. It just bothers me.

Fernando Alejandro said...

It's a formula, but now, I'm just interested in Halladay.