Saturday, January 31, 2009

13 Days, 13 Players: CC Sabathia

Everyday until spring training begins the "Respect Jeter's Gangster" blog will review one player from the Yankees roster. We will review a total of 25 players, the 25 we believe will be on the active roster after spring training. Our reviews are all edited by Carl Pavano himself to insure they're up to the stringent "Pavano Tough" standards.

There is no doubt that the biggest free agent on the market in both quality and quantity, was one Chad Candy Sabathia. The Yankees ended up signing him after they arm wrestled themselves, and apparently having the wealthier arm win. Sabathia gives the Yankees perhaps what they've always wanted: a power left-handed pitcher. They tried with Randy Johnson, but after discovering for themselves his sociopathic tendencies and his inability to pitch effectively in the AL East at his age, they had to deem their experiment a failure. Sabathia split last season between Cleveland and Milwaukee going 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA with Cleveland, and then 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA for Milwaukee. By all accounts, he got off to a rough start in Cleveland. In his first 4 games he gave up 27 runs, good for a 13.50 ERA. He quickly pulled it together just in time to be traded to Milwaukee, whom he lead to the post season. Sabathia's post season numbers were not pretty however lasting just 3.2 innings and giving up 5 runs. Perhaps the 253 innings finally caught up with him? Maybe, but Sabathia's post season performances have been less than good. Perhaps this will be the year he reverses that?

My Fearless Prediction:

Sabathia will win 18 games, but throw far less innings than last season. His ERA will sit in the mid 3's. Post season? I think he'll struggle the first start but then pull it together thereafter.

Little Known Sabathia Fact:

He pitches lefty but is actually right handed. When he turns 40 he plans to reveal to the world that he's actually right handed, and then start throwing with that arm. He will effectively extend his career another 10 years as a power righty, when at the age of 50 he'll reveal that it was all a joke, and then pitch with his unused and extremely well rested left arm for another 10 years.

9 comments:

Fred Trigger said...

RE: Your little know face.

Did you know thet is actually true about billy wagner? The pitching lefty, even though he is righty, not the other stuff.

Fred Trigger said...

facts! I meant facts. I cant type today.

Anonymous said...

Chad Candy. LOLLL.

Anonymous said...

LOL. loves the lil known fact! That would be funny though. pulling a switcharoo.. but I nono. everyones blinded by the glitz and the glamor and expects CC to win every game. He will have his bad days most def. every pitcher will, but he will definaetly impresse. I always thought about how long the yankees will keep him in there. He did have like 3 complete games playing all his innings(the way god and high school teams intended it lol) but do you think joe girardi, who so masterfully worked the bull pen like a drag queen at mardi gras, will let him go a full game in the AL? well all i know is that i am looking forward to feb 26th... ST games begin!!! The sun is shineing brigther already!

Bucky7588 said...

I don't think its that uncommon, I'm a lefty but throw righty

Fernando Alejandro said...

Trig! I thought you were facing me for a moment. Even though you weren't, it was a good facing.

I did know that about Wagner. I heard he broke his right arm when he was a kid, and took to throwing lefty while it healed. Once it was healed, he kept throwing lefty. The crazy thing is, you'd never tell since he throws heat with his non-dominant arm. He could have been the first true ambidextrous pitcher, but alas, it didn't work out.

Jane, one day I'll bother to look at what his real name is, but until then, there are numerous "C" names to choose from! I'm pretty sure one of his first name is Charles. For a while I thought his middle name was Constantine, but then I remembered that Constantine was one of the made up names I used in one of my earlier posts.

Ruthie, I am really looking forward to this season too! I just hope Sabathia doesn't get off to the start he did last year. $161 million won't be worth the abuse he'll receive. I actually used to suspect that Damon wasn't a natural lefty. His swing looked unnatural and awkward to me. It kind of looks how I look when I swing lefty, only he actually makes contact.

Bucky, its not that uncommon in position players, but its rare in pitchers. There's a ton of players who will bat righty, but throw lefty or vice versa. On a side note, I think it would be really cool if switch hitters could switch-sign autographs too. Like when one arm gets tired they can just start signing with the other. I suppose anyone could try it, but the non-dominant signature will look like a 4 year old signed it.

Raven King said...

And at the age of 60, Creamy Cream will find out that there's no need to pitch with his arms at all.
So he then starts pitching with his unusually strong brainwave and mind power for another 10 years and set a new world record for strikeouts.

Anonymous said...

cc wont opt out after three years and pitch for the yanks for the rest of his life

Fernando Alejandro said...

I only pitch with mind powers. It keeps the hitters off balance.