Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Want the Sox

Peter Abraham had an interesting question and poll on his blog yesterday. He was wondering whether the fans wanted to face Texas in the ALDS or the Tigers. The implication was that if the Yankees faced Texas, then the Red Sox lost the wild card, while if they are facing the Tigers, then the Red Sox won. It made me think of what kind of ALCS I would want to have. Its likely that we'd be facing either the Sox or the Angels, unless of course Texas wins the wild card. Personally, I want to face the Red Sox in the ALCS. A lot of fans seemed scared of this, probably because of what happened in 2004, but for me, it seems like even if we win the world series, if we do so avoiding the Sox, it just won't be as sweet. No, I say bring them on. Let's have another classic series like the ones in 2003 - 2004 were. If this team is tough and not intimidated then we'll have an '03 outcome. If they're intimidated, then we'll see an '04 outcome, only probably not as dramatic. Either way, beating the Red Sox to go into the world series would be a huge boost, and it would shut Sox fans up for a little while. Emphasis on little.

7 comments:

cheshirecat9 said...

I totally agree with you. It almost wouldn't seem right to not play the Red Sox. I want vengence for the embarrassment of 2004. A cosmic wrong must be righted. This team can beat the Red Sox and I think a dramatic thrashing of them on national TV is just what the doctor ordered. Bring it on! Go Yanks!!!

Fernando Alejandro said...

I agree. I get the impression from reading other Yankee sites that people don't want to face the Red Sox. As if the Angels would be a better option. Either one we beat would be nice, but its a lot sweeter when its the Sox.

cheshirecat9 said...

I think people are afraid of the Sox because of the blown ALCS. We have not made it past the first round of the play-offs since then. Facing the Red Sox in the post season would be like one of those therapies where you face your worse fears to get over them. Like Indiana Jones getting lowered into that snake pit. He came out ahead and so can we.

Jon Roberts said...

I dislike that the Yankees will have to play the other division winner if the Sox make it. This year the Tigers are probably the worst team that will make it in so it doesn't matter.

All the playoff teams are dangerous. they were all good enough to make it into the playoffs. That said, the standings are not lying. The Angels are better than the Red Sox. The Angels have a deeper rotation and a much better lineup. The Angels bullpen is not looking so hot, so I expect the Yankees to hurt them there. The Red Sox bullpen isn't exactly the '98 Yankees either though. They are better with Wagner, so that could hurt one inning in a series, maybe two. Papelbon is going all Dice-k in the 9th now and that will hurt them when he coughs it up or can't go as often as the ever efficient Rivera.

My Prediction: Yanks>Tigers in 4. Angels>Sawx 4/5 Yankees>Angels in 6. Yankees>Cards in 6. Yankees/Cards is a great series. Great players matching up as well as two franchises with a ton of great history.

Raven King said...

I'm fed up with all the ugly Sox players.
This time I want the fabulous dashing Ranger Josh Hamilton for a change.
And I also want to see Neftali Feliz throw that famous 100 mph fastball with my own eyes.

Steve said...

As sweet as it would be to beat the Sox, the fact that they missed the playoffs is even better.

Fernando Alejandro said...

I mean, honestly, I don't think the Rangers are going to beat out the Red Sox for the wild card.