Friday, December 5, 2008

A-Rod May Play for Dominican Team

According to Big Papi, it would appear that Alex Rodriguez will be playing for the Dominican team in this years World Baseball Classic. If Alex would have joined the Dominican team in the last go round, the team would have been a ridiculous construction of powerful offense. The lineup included David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Alfonso Soriano, Jose Reyes, Vladimir Guerrero, and Placido Polanco all of them 4 years younger than they are now.

I understand that National sentiments run deep, but with Alex it doesn't appear to run too deep. If you ask me, its a little strange to change, which National team you wish to represent. I can see that maybe he wanted to represent both and couldn't so therefore he had to pick one in '05 and another in '09, but that just adds to the melodrama that is Alex Rodriguez.

If I were a baseball player, there is no doubt that I would play for the Puerto Rican team. I love the U.S. but I'd play for my island. Also, if I were a baseball player, I would probably be a homerun hitter who bats for average and steals bases on demand. My batting numbers would be similar to the 'roided Barry Bonds, only my base stealing would be similar to a young Rickey Henderson, and of course I would be a switch-hitter and gold glove defender with MVP written all over me. I would single-handedly drive the Puerto Rican team to the finals only to lose to the Japanese team, because of our lack of pitching depth (Our rotation in 2005 was anchored by Javier Vazquez, and Joel Pineiro).

Anyway, back to A-Rod, I guess I don't see how you can switch teams now. Stick with one team Alex. It makes you look a little less crazy.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think A-Rod should play wherever his big, thumping heart desires, and I said as much on my blog today. People need to leave this poor (O.K., so he's not poor) man alone.

Fernando Alejandro said...

As an observation, I've noticed that women tend to be sympathetic towards A-Rod where as men tend to have an irrational dislike for the man. I might publish a report on my findings as I pursue my first of many Nobel Peace Prizes.

Anonymous said...

Any Yankee fan should be thrilled for him to play with the DR.

How could a couple of weeks of hanging out, talking hitting with Manny and Pujols be a bad thing?

Fernando Alejandro said...

Here's the thing, A-Rod knows how to hit. In fact, he knows how to very well. Every single one of his off years are phenomenal by any other players standard. Not only is he a great hitter, but he has a great hitting coach, and has been constantly surround by great hitters since coming to the Yankees. I just don't think him hanging out with Manny and Albert are going to do much for his hitting. If that were the case, his friendship with Big Papi would have already done it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to mess up your dreams of glory for your homeland, but I'm afraid Puerto Rico would have to be lacking another hero. If I were a ballpalyer, I'd be like Roger Clemens if he'd discovered 'roids at the same age Giambi did, and they'd still be looking for your head. Along with any other decent hitter's in MLB.
As for A Rod--was he even born in the DR? I don't care if he plays for them, or whatever else he wants to do, as long as he produces during the season.
Gotta wonder, though. When he comes up in bottom of the ninth in the championship game, his team down by 1 and runners in scoring position, will they pinch hit for him, or watch him strike out swinging at ball 6?
(I'm on his side. Really I am.)
Joe

Fred Trigger said...

pinch hitting for arod, in any situation, would be insane.

Roberto E. Alejandro said...

I would pinch hit for him if he got a call while he was in the dugout and it was Madonna calling to break up with him.

Fernando Alejandro said...

A-Rod was born in New York, but I think he lived in DR for a time. I wouldn't pinch hit for him, but I would be nervous the entire at bat. It also depends on whether he's playing like the 2007 A-Rod or the 2008 version.

Anonymous said...

A-Rod lived in the Dominican for four years when he was a little kid. He's playing on their team to honor his mother. Sweet. (Yes, women are more sympathetic to him. Yankee fan women, anyway.)

Anonymous said...

According to Pete Abe the other day, a player can play for a national team if one grandparent is from that country. (Wonder if Iran tried to get that Japanese kid? Looks like a hell of a Yankee to me, if they don't burn him out before his contract is up.)
So, it's a lot more of a fun thing than, say, the Olymics. Not so long ago, Poand and Ireland could have put out some hellacious temas.
Joe

Fernando Alejandro said...

If the WBC had been around in the 40's, Italy would have owned.