Thursday, November 20, 2008

Moose Retires

While many of us saw this coming, it still comes as a complete and utter surprise to me that Mike Mussina has decided to retire. In all seriousness, Moose had a great career and was one of the few bright spots in the Yankees' 2008 season. Much of the discussion on WFAN today focused on whether he should make the Hall. Personally, I am most persuaded by Johnny Damon's argument that because Moose accomplished all that he did while pitching in the AL East his entire career that he ought to be in the Hall. I don't think you can say, well, he didn't win 300 or have enough strike-outs, that's nonsense. He was a great pitcher in the most consistently competitive division in baseball during his playing career. That's more than enough for my vote. We here at RJG wish Moose the best and extend an open invitation to guest blog about all things Montoursville, or relating to why none of our heralded prospects can actually pitch.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna miss Moose. :(

And he belongs in the HOF, imho.

Anonymous said...

I miss him already.
Anybody who says Moose is not a Hall of Famer because of the missing 300th win is a moron.

TribeGirl said...

I think Moose is a hall of famer but I doubt he'll be a first timer. It'll take at least three or four times. Not that I'm downing him in any way, I'm just assuming that's how it will go. But at least he'll get in. You heard it here first folks! But, the important thing is, he's happy, he has all the money and accolades he'll ever need, and like I said the other day, he went out on top and is beloved by all. (as I tear up a little...)

Bucky7588 said...

Not to mention he pitched clean in a time where most were jacked up on more roids than capt. America...

TribeGirl said...

Uh-oh, warning, here I go again! C'mon now, not everybody was on steroids. MY three guys weren't! A-Rod, Manny, and Captain Gangster have always been clean, and they've all been around since 93-95 timeframe. I know that's only three, but I HAD to say it. :o)

Bucky7588 said...

Did you guys see the article on the Yankees website that they're now putting a time limit on C.C.'s offer. Wrong move. Pressuring someone to sign with you could never backfire, could it?

Fred Trigger said...

ahem, Tribegirl. Its Captain Intangibles. And yes, Moose belongs in the hall of fame.

Fernando Alejandro said...

Well, they didn't say that they were going to pull the offer, they said that it wouldn't be around forever. I think it was their subtle way of saying, "Hurry it up already."

Anonymous said...

CC does need to freaking hurry it up already. He knows nobody is going to top our offer, so either you want to wear the pinstripes, or you don't. Make up your mind.

Anonymous said...

Moose has just walked away from a pile of money to spend more time with his family.
All the anxious Yankees fans had better start praying CC won't be inspired by our Mighty Moose.