Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Rotation

With the Yankees announcing that they will carry four starters in the ALCS, we can now discuss how we think the Yankees should line up their pitchers and who their fourth starter should be. One suggestion, made in the comments section of the previous post, was to line up Burnett with Lee or Price, so that it doesn't really matter what happens when he pitches. That seems a sensible plan, but I'm not prepared to accept that Burnett should be in the rotation over, say, volunteers from the crowd. I'd still line up that volunteer against Lee or Price, but I think choosing a fan at random gives us the best chance to compete. There will be no advanced scouting, and the Rays' hitters won't be used to the inevitably slower pitches. It will also give the bullpen an advantage, as their pitches will be harder to pick up after a few innings of having to swing at fifty-something mph pitches. As far as I know, there is no rule banning volunteers from the stands from starting a Major League playoff game. You can't do it in the regular season, but I think it's okay in the playoffs. Clearly, that is our best option.

6 comments:

hunter said...

Volunteers, or even former yankees.
Yogi Berra did a fine job throwing the ceremonial first pitch the other night... it would also be nice to see reggie jackson back on the field. and i seem to remember nick swisher pitching a perfect inning not too long ago. with these suggestions, the yankees have a lot to consider before just giving the 4th spot to aj.

Roberto E. Alejandro said...

I know, but I'm not sure how seriously they're taking my suggestions anymore.

Andy7 said...

As long as AJ is nowhere near the rotation I will be happy.

Wife Alejandro said...

Urgh, AJ... Let's get one of the grounds crew to pitch while doing his smooth "YMCA" moves.

Roberto E. Alejandro said...

Well, they're not going to ban him from the clubhouse, so you're not gonna be that happy.

Anonymous said...

Uh, I know, I know! How about mayor Bloomberg? He doesn't let us smoke. He doesn't let us drink Coke. Maybe he can pitch a no hitter too.