Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What Next?

Well I must admit I didn't see that coming either. Cliff Lee spurning both the Rangers and Yankees to go to Philadelphia for less money was just not on my radar of possiblities. Apparently, Lee really likes the liberty bell. But there's no sense in dwelling in the past, even if that past was just a few hours ago. Its best to live life in baseball like the main character in Memento. So what's next? Cashman has alluded to the fact that he has cast a wide net, and that he has a few tricks up his sleeve. We caught up with the GM to see if he would give us any insights into the Yankee strategy now that Lee is off the market.

"I'm not worried." Said an overly relaxed Brian Cashman. "I have more than enough cards up my sleeve to make this off season real interesting. I was kind of hoping Lee wouldn't sign, just so I could show the world my mastery of this work."

So what kind of tricks does Cashman have up his sleeve?

"Check this out." Cashman said, as he began showing me his hands to demonstrate that there was nothing in them. Then, with a quick flick of the wrist he was holding a card. "What card is this?" He asked me.

I replied: "It looks like an ace of clubs with Cliff Lee's picture taped onto it."

"Oh wait, really?" Cashman asked as he turned the card towards himself to glance it over. "Oh look at that, it is Cliff Lee. Okay that's the only trick I had up my sleeve. This is not looking fortuitous."

"Wait, is that really the only deal you had in mind for this off season?"

"No, of course not! No! Absolutely not! Okay, yes, yes it was. Did Pettitte retire?"

"Shouldn't you know that?"

"Do you think Grienke would play in New York?"

"Oh dear."

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Grienke's on New York's radar and hopefully Pettitte won't retire. Here's hoping we have the necessary pieces to make a Grienke deal happen.

No comments: