Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Positive Development

While the northeast has been covered in snow, and with more on the way, I started thinking what could help keep my spirits up on what has been a snowy miserable winter. The thought that spring training is just two weeks out would raise my spirits if it wasn't for the fact that the term "spring" is relative, and I'll still be covered in snow. No, the real glimmer of hope is that Joel Sherman is back from his vacation, and is updating his blog again. Though I can't say I always agree with Sherman, he is very knowledgable, always appears to have some insight that other reporters and writers don't have, and he builds his arguments well. In a recent post, Sherman mentioned the idea of seeing some of our pitching prospects compete for that 5th spot in the rotation. In other words, its not just Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon who are competing for that spot, but some of the prospects we've been hearing so much about. Personally, I think it would be a good idea to let the spot go to competition. Ivan Nova could win it, so could Mitre I suppose, but it would have to be with some of these triple A prospects in the mix. I think it would showcase a bit of our talent, and those who don't make it will at least get a feel for what it will take to make it in the majors. Perhaps things aren't as bad as they seem. If Burnett can become a passable starter, we really should be a competitive team. If Pettitte comes back its a completely different conversation.

No comments: