Friday, May 2, 2008

Peter Abraham: Beat Writer, Blog Author...Legend?

This feature interview will remain at the top of the page for the remainder of the week. Scroll down below to read our new posts, and catch up on everything related to Jeter's gangster.

Before the "Respect Jeter's Gangster" blog ever existed, us authors regularly visited and got our insight from beat writer and blog author Peter Abraham. For those of you who don't know, Peter Abraham is a beat writer for the Journal News, and has one of the most popular Yankees blogs around. The truth is, I got my inspiration to start blogging from him. So we were quite delighted when Peter Abraham agreed to answer some questions for our blog. What does Peter respect most about Jeter's gangster? Read on to find out...

1) You have one of the more popular Yankees related blogs, and regularly get thousands of comments a day. What made you want to start blogging, and why do you think its become so popular?


I did a feature story on baseball bloggers in 2005 and that inspired me to start my own. I had to convince the paper to let me do it. I think it's popular because I have no life and I update it often. Plus a lot of people like the Yankees. I don't fool myself.

2) In the time you have covered the Yankees, which player has given you the best stories? Which player have you liked covering the most?

Nobody really gives you stories, you sort of dig them up and hope the guy cooperates. Because I helped write a book on the guy, I'd say Chien-Ming Wang. The player I have liked covering the most is Jason Giambi. He is a really good guy and very funny.

3) Who has been the most difficult Yankee to cover during your time with the team?

A-Rod.

4) As a fellow Umass grad, what would you say the best hang out spot was: The Pub, Barsie's, Delano's, Charlie's or the Spoke?

I used to hang at Barsie's or Mike's Westview Cafe.

5) If you were in a bar fight, which Yankee player would you want on your side, and why?

C'Mon. Shelley Duncan. Shelley is an animal and impervious to pain.

6) Last season was filled with freak injuries, slumping bats, and underperforming overpaid pitchers, and yet the Yankees made it to the playoffs. What was it about that team that got them so far?

Their relentless 968-run offense.

7) What has been your favorite interaction with a Yankees player?

I like talking about things other than baseball (like 70s TV shows) with the Moose. Or about baseball with Giambi. Or about most anything with Damon.

8) What has been your favorite interaction with Carl Pavano?

Who? The Yankees have a player by that name?

9) Is it true Derek Jeter has two lockers in Yankee stadium, one for his gear, and one for his Gold Glove Awards?

He has three lockers: his gear, his Gold Gloves and one for suggestive photos of hot babes he gets in the mail.

10) Yourself, Mark Feinsand, and Sam Borden wrote a book about Chien-Ming Wang that was released in Asia. Are there any plans for future books?

We're working on "What the hell was Brian Cashman thinking? The Wilson Betemit Story." Seriously, no plans. But I would love to work with those guys again. I learned so much during that project and have tremendous respect for both of those guys as writers and reporters.

11) What is your honest opinion of Fenway Park (fans and stadium) and covering games in Boston?

Fenway Park is nice once you sit down. But it's a dump otherwise. I like covering games in Boston because I can stay with my sister and her family.

12) In your opinion, is Mussina done as his Boston start would indicate, or can he still be effective as his White Sox start would indicate?

I think he can help. He's pretty smart, he can still throw his fastball and their offense will score for him.

13) You are a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, and even berated me once for misspelling his name on your blog (I googled it this time!), but its your secondary music choice that really stands out to us. Would you say that cash rules everything around you?

As in Johnny Cash? I love the Man in Black. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Ludacris and Ying Yang Twins. Plus some old skool Wu-Tang Clan.

14) With the Lohud Yankees blog being as popular as it is, how many times a day do you frequent the "Respect Jeter's Gangster" blog, and why is it your favorite blog?

In all seriousness, I think it's way cool that people who read my blog were inspired to start their own. You guys have passion for the game and for writing and I respect that.

15) And lastly, what do you respect most about Jeter's gangster?

His Jordan Brand jackets. A new one almost every day. Plus his Kid N' Play fade.



There you have it! Peter Abraham respects Jeter's gangster, and loves old skool Wu-Tang. We are very appreciative of Peter taking the time to answer our questions, and if you haven't seen his blog, do yourself a favor and take a look. Not only is it a great place for your Yankees news, its also a really cool place to chat with knowledgeable Yankee fans. His wit is legendary, and we appreciate the amount of insight and commentary he provides on his blog. If you're like us, it'll become a daily stop in no time.

17 comments:

Rebecca said...

Once again, this blog has me cracking up!

Well done!

DMan said...

Hah, very good guys.

Enjoyed reading this.

saucy said...

whoa! this post is from the future!

great stuff.

Fred Trigger said...

I wouldnt say Fenway Park is a dump. I would argue that Yankee stadium is a toliet bowl shaped stadium that had all the charm of it sucked out in the 70's, during the renovation. Also, I think Mussina is done. After watching last nights game, it was sad watching him throw 68mph changeups. He can keep the hitters off balance for now, but its only a matter of time before he gets hit real hard. I'm not throwing cheap shots at yankee stadium, it does have a lot of history. But as far as ballparks go, its not that great of a facility.

Fred Trigger said...

I wouldnt say Fenway Park is a dump. I would argue that Yankee stadium is a toliet bowl shaped stadium that had all the charm of it sucked out in the 70's, during the renovation. Also, I think Mussina is done. After watching last nights game, it was sad watching him throw 68mph changeups. He can keep the hitters off balance for now, but its only a matter of time before he gets hit real hard. I'm not throwing cheap shots at yankee stadium, it does have a lot of history. But as far as ballparks go, its not that great of a facility.

michael kei said...

Knew it was a matter of time before you interviewed Pete. You'll probably get a lot of hits today since he put up a link on his site.

And of course, great questions.

TribeGirl said...

I'm curious if A-Rod has been easier to cover since he's supposedly become more fan and media friendly...

Anonymous said...

Pete is often snarky and way too overreactive to critcism and to posters a bit down on the Yanks, but I do appreciate the detail his blog provides that other beat writers do not. Interesting he likes Giambi best as I heard Jason once (or twice) has gifted Pete some drinks and lap dances. Now, I am being snarky.

Unknown said...

michael kei...

the trolls are on their way...

fred trigger...

i used to say moose is the new Chet Stedman, but if you take out Manny's production against him hes put together a fine season thus far. He can definately be succesful with a 89 fastball and a 69 change. Ask pedro, or greg maddux. Yesterday he hit every single spot he wanted to. Control like that is gonna work wonders when you have a 20 mph change in speeds.

Long Live Chet Stedman!

Fred Trigger said...

wow. A "Rookie of the Year" reference. Brings back fond memories of my childhood. I think if I'm not mistaken, moose was topping out at 87. Maddux usually worked in the high 80's in his prime. Pedro's changeup was so ridonkulous that he could get away without his best stuff (see Game 5 99' ALDS). Anyways, time will tell, I suppose. Too lazy to come up with counterpoints, hoping sox game does not get rained out.

Fred Trigger said...

you guys should see if you can get Phil Hughes to do an interview with you guys. Now that would be gangster. He's a fellow blogger, it could happen.

Fernando Alejandro said...

I've tried emailing Phil, but he was hurt that we decided to respect Jeter's gangster instead of his. I explained that Jeter's been around longer, has 4 championships, and dates a lot more movie stars than he does, but he wasn't hearing it. Maybe one day.

michael kei said...

Phil thinks that having a blog makes him 100% gangster...

Maybe that and the fact that his hat brim touches his eyebrows.

Unknown said...

"Maybe that and the fact that his hat brim touches his eyebrows."

Yeah, but we already credit that to Pettitte's gangster.

Unknown said...

Oh, and by the by, the reference in question number 13, was actually to the song C.R.E.A.M by Wu-Tang. Cash rules everything around me, CREAM! Get the money, dollar dollar bills yall! Peter thought we meant Johnny Cash, so I wanted to clarify.

Anonymous said...

I just found out another reason not to like Fenway Park:
Racism At Fenway? Nawww
by Bronx Liaison

http://bronx-bomberz.blogspot.com/2008/04/racism-at-fenway-nawww.html

Anonymous said...

I just found out another reason not to like Fenway Park:
Racism At Fenway? Nawww
by Bronx Liaison

http://bronx-bomberz.blogspot.com/2008/04/racism-at-fenway-nawww.html