Sunday, March 15, 2009

USA Loses to Puerto Rico

It was quite an event to watch yesterday's match between Puerto Rico and the USA. The American team lost via mercy rule 11-1 in the 7th inning. They must now face the Dutch to stay in contention. If the Dutch put up another upset, I'll be shocked. Either way, the WBC has been fun to watch thus far, and for anyone following it, it only gets better. The final round could very well be USA, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Japan. Maybe Korea, but these will all be tough games, which is what makes them exciting.

Either way, the Yankees are continuing their spring training, waiting to hear back about Marte and Cano's shoulder's, and hoping to get Posada's shoulder and Matsui's knees ready for the season. Today, Posada got to catch for 3 innings, and he did fine. I'm hoping he wakes up tomorrow and doesn't feel anything beyond the usual soreness you may feel after playing a ball game.

Its a pretty lazy Sunday for us at the RJG. A beautiful day outside will likely be put to use. Enjoy the games and enjoy this weather.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news that Posada caught four innings without pain. Pettitte did a nice job too. All is right with the world! (Well, almost. I miss A-Rod.)

Anonymous said...

I thought today's Japan vs. Cuba game was great. I wish Cuba put up more of an effort though.

Roberto E. Alejandro said...

I didn't expect to see Cuba get blanked, but I'm sure Fidel's illness has taken on a toll on them. All kidding aside, that was an impressive effort by the Japanese team and they seem to be the team to beat in Pool 1. The road to the WBC title runs through Japan, no doubt about it.

Fernando Alejandro said...

Posada's health is going to be huge, especially in April when we don't have A-Rod. I forget who pointed it out, but a lineup without Posada in April will mean having a 7-8-9 of Molina, Ransom, and Gardner. I suppose it could be worse.

The WBC team I wouldn't sleep on is Korea. They get less recognition since Cuba and Japan are both in that pool, but they did beat Japan to win the first round. I wonder how they'll do against Japan this time.

Raven King said...

I'm rooting for Venezuela and Puerto Rico.
I want Team Cuba to recover from their living dead situation and beat up all the other teams in Pool 1.
And I wish Team Mets knock out Team USA again so that we can have our Captain back ASAP.

Fernando Alejandro said...

Raven, you're right about team Mets!

I wouldn't mind getting Jeter back, because he is getting some infrequent at bats out there. A couple weeks of spring training at bats can only do him well.