Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Lineup Sparks Controversy

Tonights lineup has been posted and it boasts a curious right-left pattern all the way down. "It was meant to confuse the enemy." Explained manager Joe Girardi. "You throw to a lefty, and then, what's this? A righty? Whoa, how do I adapt to this? Oh no a homerun!" Girardi continued.

But not all members of the Yankees are as excited for this lineup, which features Granderson batting 9th.

"First he takes my position in centerfield, and now he takes my place in the lineup!" Argued Brett Gardner. "Joe [Girardi] is going to hear about this."

A few minutes later we caught up with Gardner to hear how his talk with the manager went.

"Joe took it all in, and seemed to understand, but after I finished he told me 'You're new nickname is going to be Kinder-gardner! Get it!' Using a play on my name and the word kindergarten. It didn't make any sense, but I cried anyways."

This latest controversy comes on the heels of a devastating defeat that has left the Yankees winless on the season.

"Goodbye October." Said one Mets fan, but not in reference to the Yankees.

3 comments:

Jon Roberts said...

I know Gardner had a decent night hitting, but his bad throw is really sticking in my head.
I don't think pulling Granderson for every lefty is a good idea, but dropping him in the order seems reasonable and by all accounts he sounds level headed enough to not take it as an insult.

Pete Abe made a huge deal out trashing Girardi for changing the lineup as if he had some evidence that it had any kind of negative impact, which he didn't. I believe it was in the the recent Yogi Berra book that they talked about all the lineups used by Casey Stangel. I remember it being well over 100 in a given season and I think he knew something about managing and had some quality players on the roster.

lady gaganonymous said...

Jesus Christ Michael Kay WOULD NOT stop making a big deal of this on the broadcast tonight.

Rich Mahogany said...

"Pete Abe made a huge deal out trashing Girardi for changing the lineup as if he had some evidence that it had any kind of negative impact, which he didn't."

In other news, Democrats support the health care bill and Republicans oppose it.