Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cashman to Release Sequel to MoneyBall, Motion Picture In the Works

Many know about Michael Lewis' book "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game", which centers around Oakland GM Billy Beane's philosophy about putting a team together. But what you may not know is that Yankee GM Brian Cashman is poised to release his own book titled "Moneyball: #&^% Billy Beane" (Censored by RJG). Where Beane's philosophy focuses heavily on sabermetrics and claims that statistics such as batting average, homeruns, stolen bases, and RBI's are flawed and antiquated, Cashman's philosophy says "#&^% Billy Beane" (Direct quote from book, censored by RJG). Here are some excerpts from the book:

"Billy Beane says that statistics such as homeruns, batting average, and RBI's are flawed. He prefers on base percentage, slugging percentage, VORP, PEDP+, and others like them. The sad thing is that many intelligent baseball fans have beleived this crap. Here's a stat for you Billy: 11 games under .500. &^%$ you Billy! (Censored by RJG)."

"I remember this one time, we reached the post season for the 13th year straight, and somebody asked me about OPS+. I hadn't even heard of it. I thought the guy was talking about the Transformers movie. Then later, I hear Billy Beane talking about OPS+ and how he builds great teams with it. I told Billy that I appreciated him doing all this statistical analysis to find great players since it made my job easier when I signed them away from him. He looked all mad, so I said 'Relax Billy, you can keep Bobby Crosby. We have a real shortstop.'"

"My Moneyball philosophy is quite simple. You mix expensive free agents with expensive international signings, sprinkle some money on top, and just like that you have a competing team. Admittedly, we didn't reach the post season in 2008, but neither did Billy Beane's Athletics so bleep him, and bleep you! [sic]."

"I hear a lot of people talking about sabermetrics, moneyball, and Billy Beane. They say that if the Yankees would just use sabermetrics to guage players, we would be signing much more valuable players. I say 'Yeah, like Nomar right?' and these critics can do nothing but shut up. The best player on the Athletics is Matt Holliday, and shockingly, I figured that out without sabermetrics. All I had to do was watch a couple games."

"Its kind of like all those stats that say Derek Jeter is the worse shortstop in the game. Those same stats say that Clint Barmes from Colorado is the best shortstop in the game. Barmes isn't even the best shortstop on his team. That's why he's playing second."

"Some teams don't have money, and there's a way they can build a winning team too. Its called getting new ownership."

There it is, excerpts from Brian Cashman's forthcoming sequel to Moneyball. Its a fun read, and very insightful. The RJG gives it 5 Tommyguns, our highest rating.

6 comments:

JeffG said...

'My Moneyball philosophy is quite simple. You mix expensive free agents with expensive international signings, sprinkle some money on top, and just like that you have a competing team...'
- Awesome stuff right there!

cheshirecat9 said...

I am looking forward to reading this. I just finished Cashman's other books "I'm Okay, You're @#$%^&*! Nobody" and "Torre Who?".

Fernando Alejandro said...

Thanks Jeff! Glad you liked it.

Cheshirecat9, the Cashman trilogy will be an amazing gift set for the holidays.

Fred Trigger said...

hahaha, that was an awesome post!

anonymous number two said...

She-Fan, great segment on Yankees Magazine. I guess Jason Zillo is your friend now?

Big West said...

this was pure genius, thank you