Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Excellent Game at Virginia Tech

I really can't sit here and pretend to know what this game meant to the community at Virginia Tech. I've never been through such a tragic and horrifying event, and hopefully I never will. By the looks of the people in the crowd however, it really seemed like the students were enjoying themselves. It was all smiles in the crowd, and it was fun to see the college players come up to bat with autographs all over their hats. There was one quote from the head coach that I found interesting:

"I look at the Yankees differently after today, and I always will," said Virginia Tech head coach Pete Hughes. "I grew up my whole life hating the Yankees -- I mean, just hating them -- and I brought up my kids with that mentality. Now, I'll look at them differently."

Its just interesting how much a gesture like this changes someones mentality about an entire organization. Living in Massachusetts, I know the "Hate Yankees" mentality that is spawned here, but when it comes down to it, life is so much bigger than baseball. I think this was a great idea, and I'm glad everything went as well as it did.

No comments: