Saturday, March 29, 2008

Old Yankee Stadium

The New York Times has three great articles dealing with Yankee Stadium. (1, 2, 3). They make for good, if not nostalgic reading. It will be odd to think that this is the last year I will be able to go to Yankee Stadium. The first time I went was when my family was living in Princeton, New Jersey. We traveled to those hallowed grounds because my grandfather, a life-long Yankees fan (and the reason both my brother and I adore this team) was visiting from Puerto Rico.

Yankee Stadium holds a lot of special memories, and meaning, for a lot of people. The players understand the honor it is to play on there, but the stadium belongs to the fans. Ruth built the house, but we made it a home. We took our dates there, we taught our kids to keep score from the stands, we had a few beers, and we let our emotions ride with every pitch. This place means a lot more than just baseball. My grandfather is not with us anymore, but the stadium is for one more year. Let's make it a great one.

No comments: