Thursday, February 28, 2008

R.A. Dickey News

As an avid fan of R.A. Dickey, I was pleased when I opened up my New York Times this morning and found an article about the pitcher himself. If you know nothing about the man, know this. He single-handedly ruined my fantasy team back in 2005 when he was with the Rangers and I actually believed his knuckleball was any good. But I'm not mad, especially since it states in that article that he does not have an ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. Its the ligament that's typically replaced in tommy john surgery, and therefore he is immune to the condition that would necessitate the surgery. The article says "It’s like a running back in the N.F.L. having no anterior cruciate ligament in his knee." Pretty impressive.

Apparently he was either not born with one or it disintegrated in his teens. Further more, he should not be able to turn a door knob without feeling pain, much less pitch on a major league team. However, Dickey is not the only major league ball player missing something common to human biology. For example, Derek Jeter was born without fear.

No comments: