Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Red Sox Fans Overreacting? No Way.

Since Red Sox fans have had a couple days to process what happened over the weekend, they are just now able to come together and express their logical concerns of the team. At least that's what you'd think. The majority of Red Sox fans I've talked to think the Sox need to trade Papelbon, and get rid of Francona. The more grounded of the fans realize that the Angels were just a better team, but some don't see it. In fact, I know Red Sox fans who were predicting a sweep of the Angels, while predicting that the Yankees would need 5 games to beat Minnesota. I just didn't see it working out that way. While I hoped that the Red Sox would beat the Angels so we could see them in the ALCS, I'm not too surprised they lost. I had predicted the Red Sox in 5, but I wasn't surprised to see the Angels win. Either way, the main thing I want to point out is that Papelbon, as much as I don't like him, is an elite closer with elite closer talent. He got beat by Vlad Guerrero and an Angels team that has elite hitters. His final line in what has been termed a dissapointing year was 38 saves in 41 opportunites with a 1.85 ERA, and 76 strikeouts in 68 innings. So sure, get rid of the guy. I think Red Sox fans have forgotten their closer-less years when Keith Faulke was injured, and Schilling and Pineiro were slotted as their closers. Papelbon saved them from that mess. But by all means, trade away your closer. Throw in Francona while you're at it. Its not like he gave you the first two World Series championships since Babe Ruth was smoking cigars in the Fenway dugout or anything.

5 comments:

Jon Roberts said...

It seems like Epstein might want to move Papelbon too. They all seem pretty high on Bard, I guess because of the radar gun. I can't stand the punk, so its hard to credit him at all. I don't know his salary info, but it seems like he would be a good trade chip since they are stuck with contracts for AARP members at third and dh. He should get a good package in return and if they can replace him with cheaper in house talent they should probably look to do that.

Fernando Alejandro said...

I'm questioning whether Bard can fill those shoes. Yes he throws 100mph but so did Farnsworth. After one season in the big league's its a huge risk to move him into the closer role. That being said, I hope they do it. He has a good fastball. We can hit fastballs. He has a 9.64 ERA against us.

Roberto E. Alejandro said...

Yeah, besides throwing hard I haven't really seen Bard show all that much. The speed is impressive, but you can sit on it, and it's a massive shoulder/elbow injury waiting to happen, even for a reliever. If they move Papelbon I won't be sad to see him go, and they'd be wise to do it now, b/c he'll probably be a middle relief type before too long. He is increasingly looking more and more hittable and that's a bad sign for a closer. He's still strong at the position, but I'm not sure he's headed for a Hoffman/Rivera type run at the position. I could, however, be mistaken.

Anonymous said...

Bard or Papelbon--who cares? Let the Red Sox suck for a couple of years. It's their turn.

Raven King said...

I won't mind watching Papelbon get traded out of AL East at all.
Go ahead and make my day, Theo!