Wednesday, July 14, 2010

All Star Game

I'd like to be able to say that I watched it, but the truth is I didn't. I didn't bother. I wasn't even home. I wasn't even at a sports bar with a television. But when I found out the outcome of the game, I felt pretty good about my decision to skip it. So instead of doing a good, bad and ugly of this game, I think I will just do a good, bad, and ugly of the All Star Games in general.

The Good

Since homefield advantage was added to the all star game, its actually given meaning to this game. Its certainly fun to see all these amazing players on a team together, but giving them a reason to play makes it more interesting.

The Bad

Fan voting. I don't mind that fans get to vote, I just mind the whole 20+ votes each fan can get.

The Ugly

Every team has to be represented in the all star game, which means you get situations like Mark Redman being selected as an all star pitcher in 2006, because he was the best pitcher on the Royals. But the best pitcher on the Royals went 11-10 with a 5.71 ERA that year. So you get the idea.

Respect Jeter's Gangster is Still for the Children

Yesterday was the closing for the Children's Health Fund raffle. However, it had been expressed from different individuals that they would like to donate but have not been able to do so yet. In light of this, we are going to extend the raffle date to Friday, July 23, with the results being made known on the following Monday. So get your donations in, and get in on the raffle! Get the details to participate here!

3 comments:

lady gaganonymous said...

Ahahahah this post is awesome.

The Ugly is that people are now saying Hughes is a bust who can't handle the big stage and skewering Girardi for somehow simultaneously not using A-Rod to pinch-run for David Ortiz in the ninth AND not using him to pinch-hit for whoever else because he WASN'T PLAYING TO WIN!!!!! But taking out Mauer and Cano in the fifth inning is completely fine.

Stupid exhibition game counting for something >:(

Fernando Alejandro said...

Yeah, its bad that the AL lost its domination over the NL with Girardi managing the game. I think it raises question on whether he loyalties still lie with the Marlins as some have suspected.

Rich Mahogany said...

Maybe in a few years, ASG managers won't feel compelled to use every player in the first seven innings so there's a bench left over for late-and-close situations. Ortiz could be the slowest player in baseball. You need to have someone available to pinch run for him.

I'd say Girardi couldn't have pinch hit for Buck because he wouldn't have had a catcher, but there are so many weird re-entry rules for the ASG that I'm not even sure that's true.

Verducci made a good point that Girardi should not have put ARod on the team and then sat him for the entire game. Find some way to use him or take someone else. As it turned out, Cody Ransom would have been a better pick. He could have pinch run for Ortiz.