Friday, November 27, 2009

Question: Cano for King Felix?

I'm not saying that this is a likely scenario, and there has been no talks of any such deal, but if Seattle approached the Yankees and wanted to trade King Felix for Robinson Cano, straight up, would you do it? Or what if the pitcher in question is Roy Halladay? Would you pull the trigger on that deal? The free agent market is pretty good for second baseman, or shortstops who can be converted to second base, and that list includes such candidates as Orlando Hudson, Felipe Lopez, or Placido Polanco. Maybe even a guy like Marco Scutaro for a year wouldn't be bad, or Mark Derosa who I think would be a great fit could fill in. The point is, there are plenty of second base options even if we don't fully recover Cano's bat. That being said, if it lands us an elite pitcher, would you pull the trigger?

5 comments:

JWagg said...

I don't make that deal if I'm either team. Pitching is a strength for us (assuming Andy comes back), and there's no way we make up for Cano's production at 2nd. This team just won a championship, I don't understand why so many people want to make major changes like some of the ones being suggested

SA Yankee fan said...

I'd do it. I don't think Seattle would.

The Lineup is potent enough to make up for the 2B production we would lose and I think this team is 1 young "ace" pitcher away from a potential dynasty.

Elite starting pitching wins championships and if the yankees get much more I think there will be little standing in their way....

Brandon said...

I would definitely, definitely do it but I don't think there is ANY and i mean ANY chance Seattle does that

Fernando Alejandro said...

I tend to agree with SA Yankee fan, though I agree that there's no way Seattle would do that trade as well. The question has more to do with the philosophy of whether you would trade an elite position player for an elite pitcher. As SA Yankee fan said, a young ace pitcher added to this staff could mean a dynasty. The Yankees did just win a championship and I agree that major moves aren't necessarily needed, but if it means solidifying our rotation for the next few years, then I'd make the move. Just imagine a Sabathia, King Felix, AJ Burnett rotation in the playoffs. Or replace Felix with Halladay. That would be a formidable rotation.

My brother and I keep saying that if the Yankees land Halladay, and add another pitcher via free agency (ie. Cliff Lee next season, or Lackey this season), MLB may institute a salary cap. It just wouldn't be fair.

King Quaker said...

Halladay no; big money contract extension would be required to get him and he is already 32. That plus Cano is too much.
Felix yes; young and not yet in line for the (very) large dollars.
Are those in-charge in Seattle so gullible as to agree to such a deal?