Monday, December 21, 2009

I Didn't Know You Could Go to Jail for This!

According to this article in the NY Times, Brooke Astor's son has been sentenced to prison for siphoning large sums of money from his mother. But isn't that every child's prerogative? My whole life has pretty much been one continuous attempt to avoid paying for things myself and have my parents pay instead. Like that time I was about 10 or 11, and I found a $10 bill in the house and bought a GI Joe. Or taking change out of the jars in my parents room to buy candy bars. I must have kept half the candy industry going in my home town with those purchases. I used to go into my parent's room and search for loose bills in my dad's pants so I could go buy candy. Even now, when I go to my parent's house I pretty much just double their grocery bill for the week and then leave. I mean, if I knew I could go to jail for siphoning money from your parents, I probably would've thought twice about it.

No comments: