Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Stadium Fail

The New York Times had this article about the obstructed views at the new Yankee and Shea stadiums. The picture they include of the Yankee Stadium bleachers seats is pretty condemning. Those used to be pretty good seats. I've sat there. Now there's a giant restaurant in my way that doesn't allow me to see left field. After Newsweek first put out the article about the obstructed views, the Yankees dropped the price of those seats to $5, which is pretty good despite the obstructed view. Still, the Yankees messed up here. How you spend a ton of money to build a stadium with this kind of design failure is beyond me, which is partly why I suspect it was known all along and the Yankees didn't care. They stand to make way more money with a restaurant in centerfield, then they do selling bleacher tickets, and I have a seriously hard time believing that no one noticed the design flaw until it was already built. That being said, they're going to start selling alcohol in the bleacher seats again so the rage felt about the obstructed view will soon be fueled with alcohol making for an exciting in game experience. Should be interesting.

Despite this, I'm still very excited for the new stadium. I have tickets to a few games this season, and I may actually bring spending cash to buy things. The food menu looks good, the stadium looks impressive, and its going to be an experience I can share with my grand children many years down the road after my future sons have broken Bonds' homerun record with nothing but flax seed oil, jumping jacks, and homemade rice and beans.

4 comments:

She-Fan said...

That article in the Times made me wonder about both new stadiums in NY. Did they have the same architect? Oh, well. A ticket for $5 is a good deal these days.

anonymous number two said...

I emailed the architectual firm for the Yankees and asked if the obstructed views were done on purpose or just an oversight? I haven't gotten a reply.

Roberto E. Alejandro said...

I suspect the architect had never been to a ballgame, at least not in the bleacher seats.

Fernando Alejandro said...

There's no way an architect who gets contracted to build stadiums has ever sat in the bleacher seats.